Thursday, January 19, 2012

Can I return a vehicle I purchased from another state?

Six weeks ago, I bought a used motorcycle via eBay, from North Carolina (I live in California). When I went to register the vehicle, I was told by DMV that it does not comply with CA emissions regulations and cannot be registered in this state. So now what do I do? Is the seller obligated to take it back? The title and registration is still in his name, but the financing for it is now in my name.Can I return a vehicle I purchased from another state?
No, unless they had made illegal modifications or something like that, they have no obligation, you should have checked that before buying it. CA has stricter emissions standards that most other states for quite a few years now, it's not their responsibility to know that.



Just put it back on ebay I would guess is your best bet.Can I return a vehicle I purchased from another state?
No. Unless he changed something that altered the exhaust system. California is quite strict on emissions. How is the title and registration still in the previous owners name and the financing in your name? Most lenders want the title to a vehicle they finance. If you took out a personal loan, you should have the title. What I am saying is, the prevooius owner should not have it if you bought it. You are asking for trouble if this is the case.Can I return a vehicle I purchased from another state?
No, the seller is not obligated to take the vehicle back, the fact that it won't pass California emissions isn't his fault. Why don't you find out why it doesn't comply? Maybe you could fix or adjust it so it is in compliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment