Thursday, January 19, 2012

Can I buy and register a car with learner's permit in North Carolina?

I live in Charlotte, NC and I have a learner's driving license (what they call "Learner's permit") which allows me to drive in city, but if I want to drive in highway, someone with a driver's license should seat besides me.



I am about buying a car from a private party and I wanna register it in DMV, and then I wanna take the driving test with my own car and get the driver's license.



Can I do all paper work and registration with my learner's permit? what document should I have? should I have a insurance for that car?



ThanksCan I buy and register a car with learner's permit in North Carolina?
Any person or institution can own a car, and register it. The tags don't imply that the person who owns the car is driving it, nor that people inside the car have driver's licenses. The tag doesn't even imply that the car belongs to a human being. The tag is just to track down the owner, which might be an institution, like the state.



If you're a minor, there may be some steps in there where you'd need your guardian to agree to it. You didn't say. For instance, you can't sign a contract, so you couldn't actually buy a car from a dealer. You can own it, though.
Check with D.M.V. but I don't think so.Can I buy and register a car with learner's permit in North Carolina?
For insurance reasons, it would be better to have the car registered in your parents name and then have you listed on their insurance. If I was the seller of the car, I would want you to be at least 18. There are different laws regarding transaction with minors, they have a lot more rights than adults.



good luck on the drivers test.
From what I know, you have to have a valid license to buy a car. The dealer(s) will ask for it to show they are in compliance w/ state law. Private party may not require it, but your car will need to be properly registered and insured when you take the test. The test proctor can and sometimes do ask for that info. By law, all cars on the road must be insured. The fines are very high if your caught. Your license can be suspended and taken away by the police if you don't. Some cities/counties amy even haul you away to jail and make you post bond until court. I don't know all about NC law, but any one w/ a learners permit must have a licensed driver at all times no matter if you are in the city or on the hwy. And since you have a learners permit %26amp; you are driving by yourself, that means your not insured. Thus you've broken the law. No insurance company will issue a policy to someone who has a learners permit.Can I buy and register a car with learner's permit in North Carolina?
I think over 18, check DMV

1 comment:

  1. This was a great article about how to register a car. I am a relatively new driver and I just bought a car. It needs to be registered right away. I am glad that it was pointed out in the article that a minor may need their guardian to agree to it. Tomorrow I better start doing some more research on how to get my car registered.
    Emily Smith | http://www.registryunlimited.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete