Thursday, January 19, 2012

Can you get plates for a car, in NC, that is registered to one person, but is insured by someone else?

I'm planning on buying a car, from a friend of mine, but he is waiting for a new title from the DMV. He has it registered in his name right now, but doesn't have insurance for it, so he doesn't have any plates/tags for it. If I insured the car, in my name, could he get a plate for it? Would it be legal for me to drive it at that point? How long does it take for a new title to arrive in the mail? We're dealing with the North Carolina DMV.Can you get plates for a car, in NC, that is registered to one person, but is insured by someone else?
It is NOT legal !!! You have to have the car registration and insurance in the persons name that is going to drive it. The title takes about 2 - 4 weeks.Can you get plates for a car, in NC, that is registered to one person, but is insured by someone else?
most insurance companies that I have had want to see the title with my name on it before they will insure it. I don't know why he is waiting for a new title but that only takes about 1 week. I don't know about it being illegal but the insurance company will tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment