Thursday, January 19, 2012

Purchased a car from a private seller. Can I drive the car before the title is released by the lienholder?

Hi,



I purchased a car from a private seller. He was still making payments on his car and we made a deal such that I will pay the amount he owes on the car and he will give the keys to me on the day I purchased a cashier鈥檚 check in his presence.



We did so yesterday, met at the bank, I purchased a cashier's check with the amount he owes, had a bill of sale signed by him, me, and the notary, he gave the keys to me, I mailed the cashier鈥檚 check to Toyota (lienholder), and added the car to my insurance policy.



I gave a call to DMV (North Carolina) today to ask for the documents I need to obtain a temporary tag until the title is released to my name and they said that I cannot obtain a temporary tag without a title and I cannot drive the car until then. Is this really the case? Does anybody have any experience with such a situation?



Any response will be appreciated.



Thanks.Purchased a car from a private seller. Can I drive the car before the title is released by the lienholder?
That is the same in all states.

It will take 2-3 wks for Toyota to do the paperwork.

You can call Toyota and ask for express service on the title.

and overnight the title. That will save you some time.

Or drive the car with the previous owners plates.Purchased a car from a private seller. Can I drive the car before the title is released by the lienholder?
You could but you shouldn't. The best way to solve a potential problem is by preventing it from happening in the first place. What if you have an accident during the first drive? Would you be insured? Prudence dictates that you should take all steps possible to insure your best interests by being patient and keeping your house in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment